Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Apologies

Apologies for the low-to-no postage (not a commercial) in the past few half-fortnights, I have been detained by several factors. One being the garage. A garage is a horrible American invention that allows us to live up to our horrible standards of large amounts of crap, where the garage is the church, and the crap is the congregation. It is horrible. Add two brothers and an auction-obsessed mother into the picture, and we have our very own Armageddon.
My father was quite adamant about not throwing anything metal away, but instead getting a "fair go" at its value at the scrap metal place in Salina. Right, like you're really going to get any substantial amount of money at the scrap metal place. But riches are to be had you say? Mountains of cash can be accumulated by the conquest of metal in its rare form of scrap, you jest? I say nay to you naysayers! Twenty three dollars was all that we could suffice from an exorbitantly large load accompanied by a clingy set of box springs. This bed burden had made no less than 9 trips throughout its 30 year lifetime in my family, and was it worth moving 9 times only to have it subjected to the demons of scrap, and being dealt a $5 scrap sentence? You are not a patriot if you say it was so! Minus the gas we had to pay to fill up the truck, minus the 2 dollar drinks at McDonald's (my mom and I were thirsty y'all), we came out in the red. Quite a prosperous afternoon that was. If you can't tell already, this monster of a garage has been consuming my life, so it is indeed not a very exciting one at all.
I came upon a philosophical thought the other day whilst watching a game of sport endured by my brethren engaging in Basketball in a town 45 minutes away from home: What if people put as much emphasis towards learning as they did on sports for their kids? That, I believe, is the million dollar question. I took a look at my brothers' calendars the other day, and they're packed fuller than a college girl's luggage after returning from a semester abroad. Pretty full I'd say.
I promise I'll update quicker from now on, I know you're just dying to hear about my exploits in Little Sweden! Oh, I think my life may have hit a new high, for tomorrow I'm going to call and see if I can join the local farmer's market with "Coop's Cooking".

1 comment:

Laurie Denk said...

Isn't it fulfilling to have the garage clean? It never stays that way for long (much like my son's bedroom), but it feels good for a moment in time. Try watching the show HORDERS for a spine shiver.